WHAT IS A BYSTANDER?
A bystander is anyone who witnesses bullying when it happens. There are several types of bystander;
- Assistants: who help the bully and join in the bullying.
- Re-enforcers: who provide support to the bully.
- Outsiders: Stay away not taking sides, providing the bully with silent approval.
- Defenders: Comfort the victim, try to actively stop the bullying.
- Passive defenders: not involved but dislike the bullying.
Bystanders often don’t try to help because:
- They may be concerned for their own safety.
- Don’t know what they should do to help.
- Afraid that they may be picked on.